Saturday, February 27, 2010

Les Abeilles, Sablet France

A short walk down the hill from the center of Sablet along the Route de Vaison to the Mairie, the town hall, past the roundabout at the northern entrance to Sablet, you will find an excellent restaurant called Les Abeilles. Les Abeilles means the bees.


Les Abeilles is owned by Johannes and Marlies Sailer who previously owned L'Oustalet in Gigondas. In addition to the restaurant, they also have two rooms they rent out and offer cooking classes.
The restaurant offers indoor dining and a lovely plane tree shaded terrace for alfresco dining on sunny days.
Unfortunately, when I was there a few weeks ago, it was not sunny so I was seated in the pretty dining room. It was the beginning of February and I was the only person in the dining room for lunch that day.

Immediately after being seated, I was brought a simple amuse bouche of bread sticks, tapenade and olives.
I ordered a glass of 2006 Sablet Rouge, a blend of grenache and syrah, made by Domaine de Piaugier to taste while I looked over the menu proposed by the chef.
I chose the three course lunch menu for 30,00 Euros. For my starter, I chose the Petit Gris de Provence, small snails, with Swiss chard in a saffron cream sauce.

For my Plat, or main course, I chose Gigot d'Agneau, roast leg of lamb, served with coucous and baby vegetables in lamb jus. This was a very tasty dish and beautifully plated.

For dessert, I ordered Nougat Glacé, a frozen dessert made with chopped almonds, cream and dried fruit.
To finish, I was brought a plate of mignardise to enjoy with the petit café I ordered.

My lunch cost me 41,00 Euros for three courses, wine and café, including tax and tip. Les Abeilles offers a variety of menu options at lunch ranging from 18,50 to 60,00 Euros. You can also order a la carte off the menu.
If you are in Sablet, I would recommend you try Les Abeilles at lunch, especially on a nice day where you can sit out on the terrace.

1 comment:

  1. Michel:

    I found your blog after you posted a comment on my blog - C'est la belle vie. I really enjoyed reading thru your post. My wife, Sherry, and I have traveled thoughout Provence and your stories bring back many fond memories.

    I liked your stories so much that I have created a link from my blog to yours. I hope this is ok.

    See you soon at Bistro des Copains

    ReplyDelete