Saturday, April 8, 2023

Tulips in the Vaucluse put on a dazzling display of color near Jonquieres.

We are back in Sablet after an unusually long absence for us. One of the highlights of our sojourns in Provence, are the flowers that you find in various seasons of the year. 

You can see cherry orchards in bloom in April and early May around the Plus Beaux Village of Venasque. The time to enjoy their fruit is late May to early July. 

Then Shirley's favorites, bright red poppies, known in France as Coquelicots make their appearance in fields in May. The Coquelicots grow wild rather than cultivated so you can never tell where you will find them. 

Lavender, the most famous flowers to be seen in Provence, bloom from mid-June to mid to late July, depending upon elevation. Sunflowers bloom from late June to the end of July and are typically harvested in August. 

Back in 2010, I was surprised to discover fields of tulips growing near Violes, a small village near Sablet. I was surprised because we had never seen fields of tulips or read about them in any of the various guidebooks I have perused over the years. 

Since now is the time of the year when the tulips bloom, we went out to look for them on our first day back. We went to the area where we have seen them previously. Nothing! So, we made inquiries in Sablet, and discovered the tulips were growing in a different field farther from Sablet, near Jonquieres. 

So yesterday, we went out again and were happy to find multi-colored rows of tulips alongside the Route de Carpentras into Jonquieres, with views of Mont Ventoux in the distance. 

Tulip field near Jonquieres with view of Mont Ventoux
I grew up in Southwestern Michigan about one hour south of Holland, Michigan. An annual field trip in elementary school was our trip to Holland, Michigan to see the tulips.

Tulip field near Jonquieres
I learned back in 2010 that these tulips are not grown to be sold as cut flowers by floral shops or vendors at weekly markets that occur throughout France. 

Tulip field near Jonquieres
Rather, these tulips are grown for export to the Netherlands. In a few days, the flowers will be cut by a lawn mower type machine to save the bulbs. The bulbs will be harvested and shipped to the Netherlands. 

Tulip field near Jonquieres

Tulip field near Jonquieres

Tulip field near Jonquieres

Tulip field near Jonquieres

If you are going to be in the Vaucluse during the month of April, keep your eyes out for fields of multi-colored rows of tulips.

If you are planning a trip to the South of France, we would be honored if you would consider making our house in Sablet your home for your sojourn. We have weeks available in May and June, July 23 to August 5, and August 12 to September 2. Please reach out to me for information about availability and rental rates. www.sablethouse.com 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tulip tour. I had no idea they were there. Good advice for a visit but I never find your recommendations disappointing. The first time I stayed in your house (2011?) the poppies were in bloom everywhere. I do prefer to call them Coquelicots. My friends Lynda and Marilyn were with me so one day we set out on a poppy journey including looking for lavender. We stopped at the top of a long private road and all got out to take pictures. Lynda decided we should pop back in the car to explore the road further. We got to the end and a lovely lady came out of her house to share our love of flowers. When we turned to travel back out the road we realized Marilyn was not in the car. It was like she took off for outer space. We did find her. Sitting on a fence post at the top of the road. At that point we were laughing so hard with relief (Marilyn wasn’t exactly laughing). Marilyn, of the quick wit, named us “the 3 crazy poppies” which has remained our team’s name for all subsequent visits to your house on the Grande rue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not intend to tell the above story anonymously so here I confess that it’s me, your frequent guest. I still belly laugh when I tell the story of how the 3 poppies got their name. I can assure we do a lot of crazy things even though we are old ladies now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, my friend, I am so happy you shared this story. "The 3 Poppies". I love it. I hope you had a happy, peaceful Easter.

    ReplyDelete